Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Brief History of 'Snowmageddon'

Following a lead from a Facebook response I saw on a friend's comment, I thought I had discovered the origin of the term Snowmageddon from a 1998  2008 storm in Minnesota HERE. However, being a linguist, I decided to follow-up a bit.  Of course, I started with Mark Davies' BYU Corpora, but had no luck discovering the term.  Then I did some Googling/Binging. In fact, the earliest instance of the term I could find comes from that distant year 2007 HERE.  2008 seems to have been a banner year for the term across the whole country. Numerous examples follow:

4 comments:

Mike Hoye said...

One reason 2008 was such a big year for Snowmageddon was that the word was used in a severe-weather warning (later pulled) from Environment Canada that was widely broadcast. "Could this be snowmageddon?" it asked?

Chris said...

Interesting. I also noticed that Seattle figured prominently in the 2008 instances.

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing
Forum sitesi
Egitim sitesi
film sitesi
Forum sitesi
ask flashlari

MathOughts said...

Your 2007 "Snowmageddon" origins link is not working. Have a better link? Thanks!

A linguist asks some questions about word vectors

I have at best a passing familiarity with word vectors, strictly from a 30,000 foot view. I've never directly used them outside a handfu...