Saturday, April 8, 2017

NLPers: How would you characterize your linguistics background?

That was the poll question my hero Professor Emily Bender posed on Twitter March 30th. 573 tweets later, a truly epic thread had been created pitting some of the most influential NLPers in the world head to head in a contest of wit and debate that is truly what the field of NLP needed. Unfortunately, Twitter proves hapless at being able to view the thread as a single conversation using their app. But, student Sebastian Meilke used a Chrome extension called Treeverse to put together the whole thread into a single, readable format, complete with sections!

If you are at all interested in NLP or linguistics, this is a must read: NLP/CL Twitter Megathrea.

I would be remiss if I didn't note my own small role in this. Emily's poll was sparked by my own Tweet where I said I was glad the Linguistics Society of America is starting their own Society for Computational Linguistics because "the existing CL and NLP communities have gotten farther and farther off the linguistics path"

 
Happy reading

6 comments:

kosigro said...

It's important that pplee embrass cognitive linguistics. My take is they are moving further and further away and need to retrace the roots of its development.
in my country alot of emphasis is directed towards language/literature development






Stephen said...

Rich with alot of dialects.

Esther said...

I am one of those people who did linguistics in undergrad studies and I can say for sure, it has taken me nowhere. most of us have had to go back for masters and specialize on something concrete to get jobs out here.

Sirako said...

Tricky...

pius m said...

Following!

hey said...

Hi Chris,


I was wondering if you had any thoughts on computational linguistics as far as translation is concerned. I'm currently doing a Master's in Translation having just finished a MFL bachelor's. Do you think it's possible for someone with my sort of background do change track and get involved with developing machine translation? Thank you!

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...