Monday, June 16, 2008

Soda Pop Coke


"The Great Pop vs. Soda Controversy".

Red
= “Coke”
Blue
= “pop”
Yellow
= “soda”

Ahhhhhh, a classic from first year linguistics....


(HT: Daily Dish)

UPDATE: The picture above wasn't visible because the original site wasn't responding so I saved the pic as a JPEG and uploaded it directly. There is still a link to the original page. Why wasn't the original page responding? Maybe because Andrew Sullivan linked to it and the resulting traffic crashed the site. Sullivan gets like 5 million views a month. The guy's a blogging monster.

3 comments:

Jason M. Adams said...

I was born in Ohio where we said pop growing up. Then we moved to the south and everyone says Coke. I don't have a southern accent, but that was something I picked up. Now that I'm back in the north, it causes confusion at restaurants that sell Pepsi products since there is always a clarification.

Jason M. Adams said...

Meant to add that when I first came to the south and called it pop in restaurants, half of the time I wasn't even understood.. So I'll claim the change was at gun point. :)

Chris said...

I've never had a problem with "Coke" as a generic term for soda pop. It's like "Kleenex" or "Xerox": brand names that have become synonymous with the product itself.

TV Linguistics - Pronouncify.com and the fictional Princeton Linguistics department

 [reposted from 11/20/10] I spent Thursday night on a plane so I missed 30 Rock and the most linguistics oriented sit-com episode since ...